Keeping the Absent Present

Two of the most important people in Mr. HC's life, his father's father (Zadie) and his mother's mother (Bubbe F) passed away before they could see their grandson get married.  Although they can't be there in person, they are very much a part of our lives in that they have both played such a significant role in shaping Mr. HC's values and outlook.

To honor them, I am surprising Mr. HC with a small locket that our florist is going to attach to his boutonniere.  It means a lot to me for Mr. HC to walk down the aisle with his grandparents figuratively and literally close to his heart.


I ordered a 1/2 in. by 1/2 in. locket from Picturesongold.  It's Lilliputian -- smaller than a dime. The company can either laser etch your photos right into the locket or print out and attach the photos for you.  I chose the latter option, since I wasn't convinced that the laser etching wasn't going to come out all wonky.  


The pictures I had on hand were scanned in at a fairly low pixel count, so the print quality wasn't great.  But the locket is so small that image quality isn't that important.  Also, I figure it's more about the sentiment behind the locket than the locket itself.

In addition to the locket, we're going to be honoring Bubbe by using a tablecloth she embroidered as part of the roof of our chuppah.  A stroke left her unable to finish the design, but the embroidery she did finish is gorgeous.  The tablecloth is going to be a beautiful testament of her love for her children (it was intended to be a gift for Mr. HC's mother), as well as of her considerable talent as an artist.  The embroidery also reminds me of a whole tradition of women's work and women's narratives; embroidery and other textile arts are a mode of storytelling and expression that connects generations of women.  That it's unfinished is even more meaningful, as it alludes to the stories that have yet to be told.

How will you be honoring loved ones who are not able to celebrate with you in person on your wedding day?

Jessica  – (March 23, 2009 at 6:24 PM)  

I purchased a clear double sided locket from Etsy several months ago to hold pictures of my late maternal grandparents and cousin. The locket will be attached to my bouquet.

Post a Comment

Search me

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP