Birds of a Feather

Let me make this clear: I am not a feather person.  In fact, the thought of feathers usually makes me want to curl up into a fetal position -- a little PTSD from when I was growing up in Hong Kong and the teachers would threaten to beat us with a feather duster if we were being naughty.

[Image source.]

(Just for the record, I was a perfect angel.  Except for that time in first grade when I stole some kid's glue because I forgot mine for art class.  Yeah, you read that right: my first crime was indeed craft-related.  And I'm betting it won't be the only craft crime I'll have committed by the time my wedding planning is done.)

Lately, I've been noticing the use of feathers in a number of gorgeous weddings, particularly those with a vintage feel.

Exhibit 1: Sexy feather pomanders!  Chic feather centerpieces!


[Photography by Jennifer S. Rau]

Exhibit 2: A quirky bouquet of mauve and white orchids and -- gasp -- black feathers!


[Photography by La Vie Photography]

Exhibit 3: A lush English garden bouquet, amped up with white feathers!


[Photography by La Vie Photography]

Note that each of these weddings used feathers in a fairly restrained way.  I am in no way endorsing a Big Bird aesthetic.  Remember that outrageous episode of "Bridezillas," in which the awful bride Monica tells her florist/mother-in-law that she wants peacock feathers and crystals and roses and calla lillies?  Oy gevalt!

Anyway, this state of affairs leaves me confused.  Feathers = corporal punishment?  Or vintage glam wedding?  Help me sort this out . . . .

Bride in Exile  – (October 8, 2008 at 2:55 PM)  

I'm normally not a big feather fan (I associate it with tacky Halloween boas and having my nose tickled by annoying classmates), but I adore that bouquet with the black feathers -- it's so unique and glamorous! The feathers really add a neat texture and color to the bouquet. The pomanders are also stunning.

I think the photos have convinced me that subtle feathers = glam and flirty.

Post a Comment

Search me

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP